Tuesday, May 30, 2006

a little bit of iowa city life


Something really exciting happened on Sunday. I was reading the paper and there was a huge article about a place called Sunflower Fields, in Postville, Iowa. It's an organic farm that grows tons of organic vegetables and offers delivery to farm share customers in Cedar Falls. The article said they had room for about 20 more customers so I called and signed us up! I'm so excited! We get a box of fresh organic produce every Tuesday until mid-October. The variety changes every week depending on what is ready for harvest. We got our first box today. Since it's pretty early in the spring we got mostly salad greens (all washed and ready to munch) and radishes and even some popcorn! A bunch of folks at Naomi's Kitchen had farm share memberships and I was always so excited to see what would come next and what we'd be eating for the week. I can't wait for tons of different kinds of tomatoes, funky new veggies to try, and always having really good salad ingredients. I'm most excited for sweet potatoes, but that won't happen for a while. I'm a huge fan of fresh, organic food, as well as buying local and supporting local farms that feed local people. Only a fraction of what we buy in the store to eat comes from within our own state which is so silly since I live in Iowa. Oh and it just tastes better. Here's a picture of what a future delivery might look like.

look at all the colors!

You will probably get updates and pictures of future deliveries, as well as cool recipies and other expressions of my veggie-loving joy. Holly is probably the only person I know who will appreciate the vegetable/new recipie madness that will take over my summer. Do they have tomatoes in Arizona?

4 comments:

  1. That is super exciting. I am very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I still lived in Cedar Falls...it is a huge blessing you are receiving fresh organic veggies, weekly!!! wow. I too, am a bit jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm, and how much does this little service cost, if I may ask. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where did you go? what have you made with your veggies? got any interesting things for me to try? they have tomatoes in arizona but they are not so great. i am pretty sure things don't grow here. az is super brown town. it has all ready hit the 110's. seriously. i am sure some bacteria can't survive that business.

    p.s. my word verification was vgqebbiq in green letters and the fact that it started with vg made me thing of veggie. i totally just was already thinking about that, but wow.

    ReplyDelete