Saturday, May 27, 2006

and it kinda sounds like "true colors"

Again with the "save as draft" button. Sorry. Then my internet connection freaked out. It hasn't been a good week for the blog. Anyway, moving on.

I just wanted to show you this Sarah McLachlan video I saw on Oprah. I usually really hate chick singers but I have nothing bad to say about this. Except perhaps, that I can't download it or find a larger version. It's been around for quite a while but it took Oprah to bring it to my attention. She's been pretty great lately (Rachel- can I get an amen?). I'm kind of annoyed with the fact that it's super trendy to be socially aware/active and that celebrities are leading the way. I'm glad that important issues are getting much-needed attention but it almost makes us more lazy to see that the extremely wealthy are "taking care of it," making us believe that we don't need to do anything except wear the right colored bracelet. Sarah McLachlan did a good job of actually doing something meaningful instead of just posing for pictures next to starving children.

The problem with social activism is that most of the time it leaves us completely dependent on people to fix the world's problems. Voting records and campaign finances are not eternal. Changing the world doesn't always have to start from the top (although it would be nice if that would happen). I don't think our lazy reliance on legislators pleases God. God should be our model of justice and we shouldn't expect the government to jump on board.

I used to have conversations with Matt (back when conversations with Matt were a part of my life...) about the responsibility we hold because of the amount of information that is thrown at us every day. I rarely live up to this responsibility and wonder if we were really meant to have it at all; if it's something that God has entrusted to us or it is just another problem that we've gotten ourselves into because we're selfish, greedy, fallen people. I think the mom from Ghana had it right:


In my anguish I cried to the LORD,
and he answered by setting me free.

The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?

The LORD is with me; he is my helper.
I will look in triumph on my enemies.

It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.

It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in princes.

All the nations surrounded me,
but in the name of the LORD I cut them off.

They surrounded me on every side,
but in the name of the LORD I cut them off.

They swarmed around me like bees,
but they died out as quickly as burning thorns;
in the name of the LORD I cut them off.

Psalm 118:5-12


4 comments:

  1. did you have to watch that like eight times before you noticed that? or are you just highly perceptive? is $47 a lot to spend on center pieces? why dont you just come this weekend, regardless of the fact that the schedule they made only goes through saturday the 3rd so i still dont know about sunday or next weekend. kay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe we can camp somewhere friday night?

    if i saw the "word verification" word for this comment on a license plate, i would think it meant Texas Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angie! Good word. Loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:57 PM

    here's your amen ang! I'm so glad we got to hang out even if it was just a short time. Hope the kids didn't get too crazy later on in the evening. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete