Saturday, October 29, 2005

wmuwygu

so i've realized lately how much being raised by a single mom has affected my life. there are lots of big ways but here's a small one that i've been thinking about tonight.

so tomorrow is saturday and since it's the last saturday of the month, we don't have any sessions at work. this means it's vicki's only saturday off of the month so she's excited. I have normal saturday missionary stuff to do (putting stamps on stuff, writing letters, going to the post office and flexing my microsoft excel muscles) and vicki is excited to clean her house. saturdays are awesome. we're going to go to lemstone and look at bible study stuff for me and anna (who is understandably reluctant) and i'm excited for a family outing. days like this are what saturdays are all about.

point being- in my family growing up, the phrase "wake me up when you get up" was a big part of saturdays. even if i had nothing to do but sit on the couch, i didn't want to be asleep if my mom was awake and doing stuff and she would rather have company while she organized stuff in the basement. this attitude has become a huge part of my personality. when i would go to my dad's house for the weekend my brothers would always wake up first (mostly because i stayed up really late talking them to sleep and then waking them up to make sure someone was listening to me talking) and they would take their blankets and go watch cartoons, forgetting that i had said "wake me up when you get up" before we went to sleep. they could care less if i was there or not, but i felt like i was missing out if i didn't spend every waking moment (literally) in their company. obviously they preferred it when i was sleeping because i was quiet, but i had limited brother time, i had to take advantage.

so i have carried this into my college years. in the dorms it was easy because you automatically woke up when your roommate was up but then in apartment life i never understood why we didn't wake each other up so that we could all be awake together. i don't care if you're hanging out in your room cleaning or playing on your computer but i should be able to wander in and out of your day as i please. i don't understand people who say "i have to study" as an excuse for not coming over. we can sit quietly and not interact, i don't understand why we can't just be alone together. i don't know why people stay in their towns and do nothing when they should be in iowa city doing nothing with me.

so this all ties in because i don't know when this lemstone outing is supposed to take place tomorrow. i know that i'll sleep later than vicki and anna but they don't know they're supposed to wake me up when they get up so that we're all up and ready to go whenever anyone feels like it. it just makes sense people.

the best day ever was when jess and i were randomly awake on a saturday at 9am and called alex because we thought she should be up too. so she came over and we just sat around all together. it was great! so just for the record it's totally okay for you to wake me up just because you're awake and i should be too because what's the point of sleeping if someone else is living their life without you even knowing it?

1 comment:

  1. i love doing nothing with you- i'm pretty sure that's a large part of what our entire friendship is built on and why we're still such good friends. i'm going to be home doing nothing on christmas break and thanksgiving...want do nothing with me? also- i would like to add that it's also sad that my roomates don't want me to go get in bed with them on saturday mornings.

    ReplyDelete