Monday, November 08, 2004

somewhere out there

God has given me lots of little signs of comfort this weekend. At first I took these little comforts as weakness or selfishness but I think I’ll just get over myself and take them as blessing.

I just came inside from watching the northern lights, standing in awe staring at the sky on the phone with people who are so precious to me, trying to point each other in the same direction to share this beauty. These people were only a few hundred miles from me on either side but the feeling of sharing the same sky (American Tail reference - nostalgic but not intentional) made me so realize that not only did God make this sky cover us in different states, but it covers us over oceans and continents too. I remember the sky in Africa, how it looked different somehow, but now I am just so thankful that it will always be the same sky that looks down on all of the people I’ll miss so much. Standing dumbfounded watching the sky change slightly over all of us for just a rare moment, when so many years have passed of the sky watching all of us change so much; I needed that little change of perspective. Standing there trying to articulate constellations and directions and aligning with one another broke my heart for so many millions of people who every day align themselves to pray to a God they don’t know. If the body of believers could just for one moment stop going in so many different (often selfish) directions and just position themselves toward Christ – what a sight that would be.

My hands are so cold that the touchpad mouse on my computer won’t work. It’s so worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Ang- I totally sing that song in my head everytime I'm far away from home- which means I've been singing it a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete