Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"so many tears - but it's good"

sometimes I make blog posts and click "save as draft" instead of "publish post"

Friday was the most exciting day ever. I got TWO pieces of international mail. That's right. Pretty freakin awesome. I got a letter from Kate which always makes me sob, no matter what she writes about. She's so amazing, I miss her like crazy. I ran into her sister at the Vine last month in Iowa City and when we saw eachother we just started crying from across the room, it was hilarious. The emotional impact of her leaving was much greater than I anticipated. Somehow we got so much closer when she left. It's so strange to not have any concept of what her life is like in Mozambique. I find myself craving her. I think me being totally available and her being impossible to reach has something to do with it. Start saving up and come with me to visit her.



AND a package full of treats from Yudai!! I'm the luckiest girl ever!! Of note: the chocolate-filled koala things that Crissa always had from her Japanese foreign exchange student, the Ghana chocolate, WHISTLING CANDY, and cookies that are pretty much my name.

There are also these weird orange chewy things that have a wrapper that I think you eat. I couldn't get it unwrapped so i tried using my teeth and the wrapper dissolved. Pretty weird. Also, the "Crunky" bar has crispy rice in it and my first reaction was "wow they put rice in everything! it's totally their staple" and was completely fascninated...until I remembered that we have chocolate with rice too. Seriously...whistling candy. It's not a myth.

So yeah. Loves me some international mail. If you live in a far and distant land you should probably be sending me mail. Pronto!

1 comment:

  1. Hint, hint! If you live in America where money flows like the gross Chicago river you should be sending some of that whistling candy. Seriously I'm here in Japan where whistling candy originates and yet I find myself frustrated that whistling candy does not translate easily. "Whistling candy-oh onegaishimasu?" I love those koala bears. They are deliciously hollow with a little tasty treat of chocolate the satisfies the taste-buds. I will have to look into getting you some yummy goodness now that I know you love Japanese goodies as much as me. Email me your address.... you rock Ang. You make being overseas fun! And thanks for remembering "us" as in your friends who sometimes feel forgotten. May you be as blessed when you go overseas as you bless me. :)

    ReplyDelete