Thursday, September 22, 2005

tonight i think i walk alone

Tim called tonight and wanted to hang out so I skipped 24-7 and we went to a movie. Tim and I have very different taste in movies but we don’t really have much to talk about, so going to movies is a good choice. We decided on The Exorcism of Emily Rose. It wasn’t bad- there was a scene in the courtroom when I’m pretty sure I saw the sound guy ducking down behind the judge. We’ll wait and see when it’s out on DVD. One of the last lines of the movie was the verdict of the priest (I’m about to ruin the movie so stop reading if you care) and the jury decided that he was guilty but suggested that he had already served his sentence so the judge said “you are guilty…and free to go” which I thought was kind of cool because that’s you know, parallel of our salvation. The movie had a few good spiritual moments. The epitaph on her gravestone was Philippians 2:12 “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” which has been on my mind lately. I was reading the Moby interview in Relevant and he mentioned that verse and how he really can't be sure that he's going to heaven. Assurance of salvation is kind of a big deal in my line of work, so I'm really not sure how I feel about that. Perhaps I should look into it.


Oh. Back to the movie. At one point the demon-posessed girl is screaming in Aramaic and she yells “Judas” which in Aramaic is pronounced Yudai…which freaked me out but I don’t think Tim even noticed. Then I had to drive home through cornfields that are most definitely full of bad guys and demonic forces. Good thing it’s almost harvest so they don’t have anywhere to hide…except in the pile of stuffed animals in the corner of the bedroom I live in. My biggest fear is that one morning I’m going to wake up and they’re all going to be facing me, like, looking at me. Seriously freaks me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment