Sunday, August 30, 2009

yes, but does it travel eastwardly?

On a random drive up to my hometown yesterday, my spontaneous companion was talking about a person being "caught in the jet stream of fate", referencing how sometimes things just come together perfectly for a person when it's completely out of their control. I rolled my eyes. And then I saw this today and found myself whispering out loud "omg totally the jet stream of fate."


Muslim occasion letterpress stationery. Swoon. Sometimes stuff is just too cool. Maybe one day it will even be in Arabic script. If I had classy Arabic-speaking friends who could read and had a mailing address I would SO be ordering more than one of each of these. They even have tiny cute buttons that say "salam" and other fun stuff at the Etsy site.



Speaking of Ramadan...it's totally messing up my diet. I know, obviously, but hilarious. Today I ate half a sandwich, a tomato, two slices of muenster and a s'more. And I drank a little Green Machine juice that I just discovered expired on August 16th. Oops. Definitely not even the sketchiest thing I've consumed this week.

Ramadan is kind of awesome. It's amazing to gain total consciousness over what goes into my body and when (not so shocking that I would delight in control), which is especially meaningful because I work at Starbucks and sometimes realize that I've had my daily recommended water intake in coffee instead. I've been seeking to grow in kindness especially at work, where we often communicate only in sarcasm. I can't honestly say that it's going very well, so I'm glad that Ramadan isn't even halfway over yet and I still have time to hone my anti-sarcasm craft. Oh and I broke the fast at the mosque on Friday night and it made me REALLY homesick for North Africa. I can now say that I don't really love Sudanese food and I much prefer breaking fast huddled around a table with a family, drinking soup from a bowl and helping the little ones peel eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment