Monday, March 09, 2009

settled

So, like I said before, I have yet to experience significant reverse culture shock (except for one crazy day that made me want to run and hide) but I was a little bit blindsided when I came home by how unsettled I felt. I surprised my family and came home over a week before they were expecting me and a consequence of that surprise was that I didn't have a room of my own yet and all of my stuff was still packed away in the depths of the basement. I learned the hard way that I'm not quite as flexible as I'd like to think I am. I just couldn't relax until I was all unpacked and everything was restored to order. The fun part was that I got to paint and get new furniture! So yes, it has taken a month, but I feel settled now.

Here's the proof. Sorry about the pictures, they were taken at random times of the day so the lighting is all different. Maybe I'll post detail pictures later.


It was surprisingly easy to find the exact color I wanted. I knew I wanted a gray room but not just boring gray. This looks almost violet in the right light.


Here's my cool desk thing when it's open. I didn't want a normal desk that I would clutter up. So far it has been perfect!


I still don't know what to do about the wall decor. They don't make poster frames in the right sizes for the stuff I have. I called in backup, I knew this was a project for Alisha, we're project masters. I'll let you know how it goes. I still feel like the wall stuff needs to be above the bed, above the desk and above the dresser instead of between all of those things, but that would leave big places of wall blank. Do I need something else to go there? I'm just not sure what to do. Clusters of black and white photographs? A funky wall decal? A vintage clock?

Oh and PS - In Africa I started making my bed every day, no matter what. I can't believe I didn't do that before.

1 comment: