Thursday, January 04, 2007

sorry jo

Joanna is totally right, it has been way too long since I've actually blogged. Basically I'm COMPLETELY overwhelmed. Completely. I leave in 12 days. 12. That's not enough time to do everything I need to do to be ready to go. My response to this is to just give up and admit that I just won't be completely ready. Ever. So now I have to decide what needs to be done and what doesn't, which just means more thinking. I hit a point every day where I just can't think about things any more and I have to stop. Last night I gave up and turned on Animal Planet, which worked for about an hour before thoughts like, "Can I afford to go to the dentist before I go? Can I wait and go to the dentist in Africa? Who do I call about that? Starbucks should have better dental coverage because their drinks are so bad for your teeth." I fell asleep last night wondering if the UPS Store would let me use their scale to weigh my luggage and then I woke up at 5am because apparently there was too much to think about for me to just sleep.

The good news is that I'm pretty organized. Every day has its own piece of paper which is labeled and hanging on my closet doors. My shifts at work and other appointments are on it and then there's a big (BIG) list of the things I still need to do and buy and every day I try to plug them into the days I still have left. Most of the big stuff is over. All of my medical stuff will be completely taken care of by Friday (when my TB test gets checked). Oh- good story. I went in on Tuesday for my physical and I wasn't really looking forward to it. When the doctor walked in she looked really familiar and I realized that she goes to Kaio church, this small church in Cedar Falls that I've been to a few times. We recognized each other right away and she pulled out the forms I had given the nurse that have the AIM logo on them and she said "I was SO excited to see you! You're my best patient!!" She was literally thrilled to be the one to give me my physical. It was so great. We kept getting distracted because she'd ask me a bunch of questions (GOOD questions like, "How is God using this experience in your family life?") and then she'd say, "Oh sorry, don't answer that yet, I need to listen to your lungs." It was amazing.

Okay so it's 6am and my step dad just came upstairs because he heard someone awake up here and he was downstairs not sleeping too. Pretty funny. He just looked at the map of Africa in my room and I pointed my city out to him and he said "I bet that's where I'll be in about a year." It was so cute. (My family is going to come visit me in a year when I get my vacation time). PS- I just looked it up and the current temperature in my city is 70 degrees. I can't wait to get there.

I can't wait to get there!

Okay. I'm going to go try and get some more sleep now. I'm having lunch with my step-mom and my sister-in-law today and that will require me to be well-rested at best. I do have a few pictures from Christmas so don't worry, there will be pictures soon.

4 comments:

  1. i seriously feel anticipation as though i were going with you! thanks for keeping us in touch with your feelings/experiences via your blog.

    I'm so excited for you to get there too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO SO SO excited for you!! I remember the days before I moved to Austin and I could not sleep and was feeling SO overwhelmed. I was brought back to that time as I was reading your post. I will pray that as you lay awake with your thoughts wandering, that God would take you to a place where you desire Him more. I found that as I was trying to sleep, but finding that my thoughts were stronger, I started reciting all of the bible verses that I have memorized and it took me to sleep. Rest in Jesus sister! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget your gummy fruit chews!

    word verification of day: oatysef (i think that's your arabic name...guess you'll find out when you get there)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, thanks for posting. Whew, I almost didn't make it. Also, if you had not blogged I would NOT HAVE KNOWN YOU WERE GOING TO AFRICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just because I am halfway across the world does not give you permission to forget such important information.
    I didn't know it was official. I didn't know you were ACTUALLY going.
    Do I need to give you my email or do you know it? I need to be put on your prayer update email list.
    Where are you going? What are you doing? Are you ready to pee your pants?
    Girl, I am SO happy for you. What an exciting day. Are you nervous? Don't be. It'll be great. How long are you going to be there. Okay, email me, please. When you have time, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete