Thursday, August 24, 2006

cate, cat chow and cat

So after I droped off DeeDee in Crapids on Wednesday I got home around 3:30am and woke up around 11 because my phone was ringing. It was Cate asking me to come to Iowa City to see her. Sure, why not. We met at HOA and couldn't really decide what to do. I saw that there was a cool exhibit at the Cedar Rapids Art Museum and suggested we check it out. Cate obliged.

It was a Chicago-based artist and designer named Cat Chow. She designs (awesome) clothes and other things out of every-day found materials. Many times the pieces had a lot of meaning and were really thought out. It was so cool, I loved it. I stole a couple pictures from the Cat Chow website because my camera hates the dim museum lighting and I hate my camera's flash.

sandpaper and leather
japanese rice paper napkinswoven measuring tapes
this one was about how women feel the need to "measure up" to society. the design is inspired by a fifties housewife style shirt dress.
this one is called "the down coat" and is made out of quilted kleenexes.
yes, kleenexes.
she thought of "feeling down" so she chose kleenex. it's worn out in some areas which she thought was appropriate because of feeling broken down when you're sad.
you can kind of see the overlap of the individual kleenexes in this picture.
this one was wound up telephone wires
this is a skirt made out of a zipper
i want it
this is a dress made out of 1000 $1 bills that were all donated by individual "investors"
it was about, you know, "worth" and stuff
it was really neat up close
you could see all the faces
this one was our favorite
it's a wedding dress made out of one zipper 100 yards long (that's a football field people!)
cate wishes it was her wedding dress
that's the beginning
you have to unzip it all the way down to the hips to get in and out of it
that's pretty hot

after the pretty stuff we went to Mondo's to use up the rest of a gift certificate I had. we had a really awesome waiter and some very mushroomy (yum) pasta with gorgonzola (yum) and lots of bread and olive oil (again)
then I got to go see the farmhouse that Cate and Noel are living in out in the middle of (lone tree) nowhere with Jocko and Tony which means that I also got to see WARREN!
he only attacked me a couple times and I'm pretty sure it was just for old time's sake.
We didn't get to have DTICD (downtown iowa city day) because it wasn't cold enough yet but it was still really good to have Cate time. Cate and I are really good when it's just us. It's nice to just pick up where we left off and not have to explain how I'm feeling about things because she just knows. She also helped me decide how to re-arrange my room. She's also the best at that even though Jess thinks she is.

2 comments:

  1. AMAZING! Are these articles of clothing for sale, or can your order them online in a catalog!? I love it! It's so random.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you can order some of the things, there was a picture on her website of a whole bunch of the zipper skirts and the wedding dress description said she had made "several" for her friends' weddings. it seems like she does it as more of an art form than a mass-production thing which is pretty cool, although sad for me.

    ReplyDelete