Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Iowa City. Again.

Holly got home from Japan and came to visit/pick up her sister and Alex was in town for the weekend so I joined them for a little indoor camping. I brought Riley to teach her how to camp so she's ready for summer.

I got to hang out with Holly and see pictures and ask questions about Japan. Liz stopped by and we just sat and talked for a little bit. It really hit me that I've found true community with these people. Some people have lived their whole lives craving the kind of relationships that I have taken for granted these past few years and I'm newly thankful for them.

Moving away really has been an adjustment. I realized on my way there this weekend that I was missing my brother's Cabaret thing at his school. He'd been preparing for it for weeks and I felt really bad missing it. It was so strange to process the regret I felt about missing something like that. A year ago it would have been assumed that I wouldn't be there. In fact, I probably wouldn't even have known it was going on. It was strange feeling like I should have re-scheduled some things, that 24-7 with my friends wasn't as important as being there for Luke's thing. Being in a family again is weird.

This weekend I realized how much I've been putting off starting my life in Cedar Falls. I'd much rather keep hiding behind a constant cycle of packing and laundry, but I think it's time to just deal with it. There will always be a reason for me to go to Iowa City for the weekend and I need to learn how to miss out on the things that don't really matter in order to focus on the things that are a priority now.

Stupid life lessons.

Here are some pictures.



holly's home! post 24-7 milkshakes

action shot of riley and alex. i dig the blur.


blogging at hoa while rachel does perspectives homework


eiffert throwing food at me while i take a picture


deedee's failed s'more. it was chewy.


riley = xtreme

3 comments:

  1. thanks for coming! it was good to see you. i know that you are trying to cut down on the roadtrip thing, but rach is coming to des moines on wednesday if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at that fresh new carpet/! it looks a lot like its made out of the same thing as the dog

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah they match pretty well. except the dog is way softer. but the carpet lets you lay down on it without trying to eat your hair, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete